Voice Internetworking Experts

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Voice Internetworking Experts   » IP Telephony   » General IP Telephony discussion forum   » h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr
ramcis

Member # 23657

Rate Member
posted January 03, 2008 12:11 PM      Profile for ramcis     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Friends,

I am working on voip setup. I need to know about the command h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr. In which scenario this command is used? Actually i have an ospf core network. Each router is accessible from other router through multiple links. Regarding this command i think, if i create a loopback interface on all routers and this interface would be the source of voice packet and destination would be the loopback of the target router then my voice call will never drop if any link down the network. Because loopback would be accessible from everywhere.

Need your responses

Posts: 34 | From: UAE | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
amoore12
Elite

Member # 20031

Member Rated:
posted January 03, 2008 03:24 PM      Profile for amoore12        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This command is necessary when the gateway is H323 to CallManager. It is not used for MGCP. In general I would agree that using a loopback interface bound to H323 being a good thing, but keep in mind that if "all" interfaces are down, as you state in your question, a loopback makes no difference as you cannot reach the router.
Posts: 257 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
RSccie1337

Member # 24248

Rate Member
posted January 07, 2008 07:36 PM      Profile for RSccie1337     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Check the link.

Troubleshooting One Way Voice Issues

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_tech_note09186a008009484b.shtml

"When the Cisco IOS gateway has multiple active IP interfaces, some of the H.323 signaling may be sourced from one IP address and other parts of it may reference a different source address. This can generate various kinds of problems. One such problem is one-way audio.

In order to get around this problem, you can bind the H.323 signaling to a specific source address. The source address can belong to a physical or virtual interface (loopback). Use the h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr ip-address command in interface configuration mode. Configure this command under the interface with the IP address to which the Cisco CallManager points."

The voice stream RTP packets are sourced with the IP address of the interface that follows the IP route from the routing table. The other side of H.323 connection may expect different IP address and drop the RTP voice stream since one way voice.

If you have only one interface that RTP goes out e.g. one serial link; IP address of this link is also a good choice.

Posts: 2 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
AVVIDinDallas
Jr Member

Member # 24250

Rate Member
posted January 07, 2008 09:00 PM      Profile for AVVIDinDallas     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This command is used to force the source address of the router’s h323 traffic to the address that you assign, which can be a physical interface or a virtual interface. Note, you will need to use an address that is assigned to the interface and I highly recommend that you use the primary IP address. I have experienced unpredictable behavior when using a “secondary ip address”. You will also need to ensure that the devices that are configured for connection in your dial-peers are aware of this source address, otherwise they will not recognize the ip address. If your IOS supports it and your network does not block ICMP traffic; it is a good idea to ping all of the destinations that are configured in your dial-peers using the ip address that you bind to h323 to ensure that you do not have one way voice. You may find it wise to also test in this manner in your various network failed states to ensure that the loopback is routable in the event of a failure. There are several examples on CCO and in the various SRNDs, concerning the use of this command, if I have not provided enough detail. I hope you are successful with you Cisco VoIP setup.
Posts: 7 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Voice Internetworking Experts